FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For more information, please contact: Ron Walker,
BEDC Annual Meeting Presents
“State of the Bloomington Regional Economy”
Bloomington, Indiana – The 2011 Annual Meeting of the Bloomington Economic Development Corporation (BEDC) will present the first annual “State of the Bloomington Regional Economy” report, a presentation highlighting key metrics and components of the Bloomington and Monroe County regional economy. The meeting will take place at 4:00pm tomorrow at the Convention Center.
“The idea for this event emerged from our marketing committee in 2010 as a way to offer a comprehensive overview of our economy and highlight some of the major drivers of wealth and quality of life, all in one presentation,” said Ron Walker, President, BEDC. “We envision building on this report annually and anticipate that this will be a stand-alone event in the future,” said Walker.
The State of the Bloomington Regional Economy report will include six brief presentations on the following areas:
- An economic and demographic overview of Bloomington, Monroe County and the Bloomington Metropolitan Statistical Area: Monroe, Greene and Owen Counties
- A report on Indiana University economic impacts
- A report on Ivy Tech Community College – Bloomington economic impacts
- An overview of the Bloomington and Monroe County tourism industry
- A review of the local residential real estate market
- A review of the local commercial real estate market and recent expansion and recruitment activities
Presenting at the annual meeting will be:
- Jerry Conover, Director, Indiana Business Research Center, Indiana University Kelley School of Business
- Bill Stephan, Vice President for Engagement, Indiana University
- John Whikehart, Chancellor, Ivy Tech Community College – Bloomington
- Mike McAfee, Executive Director, Bloomington/Monroe County Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Mark Brown, Senior Vice President for Finance & Research Indiana Association of Realtors
- Ron Walker, President, BEDC
The review of the commercial real estate market will highlight recent industrial, office and medical office market information, compiled by Summit Realty. The State of the Bloomington Regional Economy report will be the first time these organizations have collaborated to offer a comprehensive economic development presentation.
Bloomington Mayor Mark Kruzan and Dan Peterson, Chair of the BEDC Board of Directors, will also speak at the event. “The BEDC Board has been interested in this type of presentation for quite some time,” said Peterson. “In the future, this report will become increasingly valuable as we highlight our economy’s year over year performance,” said Peterson.
Additional printed information will be available at the meeting and immediately following the meeting, The “State of the Bloomington Regional Economy” presentation will be available on the BEDC’s website at www.comparebloomington.us
About the BEDC
The BEDC is a not-for-profit corporation funded through memberships and grants from private industry, the City of Bloomington, Monroe County, Indiana University and Ivy Tech Community College – Bloomington.
The BEDC’s approach to economic development is aimed at improving job opportunities, creating new wealth, increasing the tax base and serving the long-term vision of the community, goals achievable through a progressive approach and strong partnerships with education, government and local businesses. For more information please visit www.comparebloomington.us.